Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 67: Pins Come Out!!!

Disregard the fact that I'm writing day 67 a couple days late...I felt exhausted the day of surgery and yesterday I moved back to college so I couldn't really find a good time to blog! So anyways....

My pins are out!!! WOOHOO! My mother and I left our home at 5 am to arrive at the Kaiser hospital at 5:40 am. I signed in and we waited to be called back into pre-op. About fifteen minutes later we were called back, and I got undressed and changed into my hospital gown. The nurse helping me was really nice and asked a few pre-surgery questions while another nurse put an IV in my hand (which is still a little sore might I add!). The main nurse also gave me an anti-nausea pill to take, and later gave me an anti-nausea patch behind my ear because they knew I felt very nauseous and threw up a few times after my first surgery. By the time the nurses were all done asking their questions and prepping me, it was only 6:30...I had to wait until 8 to go to surgery! My mom and I just relaxed until then. Finally, one of the residents who would be watching (and maybe assisting) my surgery and also the anesthesiologist came over to answer any questions I had. After this, a nurse wheeled me on my bed to the OR.

Once in the OR, my doctor/surgeon briefly answered my questions and then I transferred beds and was given oxygen. That's the last thing I remember before waking up in recovery! By the way, the surgery was ridiculously short...I remember looking at the clock in the OR and it being somewhere around 8 am, and when I woke up in recovery it was only 8:30!

Even the recovery period was relatively short. A man came in and took x-rays of my foot (which I barely remember cause I had just woken up), and another nurse sat near me asking how I was feeling and mainly just monitoring my vital signs. I guess my vitals were all really good, because the nurse called someone and described how "abnormally well" I was doing, and so they moved me into a different recovery room. The entire time I was in recovery, I felt absolutely no pain. I didn't need any pain killers until I was home, and even then I took a pain pill more for precaution rather than because it was really starting to hurt. I stayed in recovery from about 8:30-10:00 am. My mom came back and got to see me, and that's basically my second surgery experience!

So how am I feeling now that surgery is over? For starters, my foot is bandaged up again so I can't see the pin holes, and I was given a large black boot to wear at all times until my next checkup appointment in a week and a half. When I walk I occasionally get a dull shooting pain in my toe where the pins were. I've only taken three pain pills since the surgery, which is about one per day so far! The day that I came back from surgery, I rested all day and had my foot propped up with ice packs. The day after surgery was move in day so I didn't really get to rest...but not that I needed to! After moving a few things up and down stairs to my apartment (my friends moved most the stuff since I am not technically supposed to carry anything) I still felt no pain! The fact that I was able to move all my stuff in and organize the day after surgery is pretty amazing to me.

Sadly, I did throw up last night....I'm guessing it was because I had taken a pain pill, and they make me nauseous if I don't eat right around the time I take the pill. I feel fine now though! Another yucky thing is that I'm back to taking showers with my shower chair and a trash bag duct taped around my leg. I can't take this bandage off and it can't get wet, so my showers are gonna be a pain for awhile again.

All in all, I am so happy with my results and the timeline of everything! I never thought it would only take 67 days from start to finish. Of course there is still the healing of the pin sites and me having to slowly get my strength back, but I am just glad my ex fix was removed before school/work started again. I would totally recommend anyone thinking about this surgery to go for it! Even though my foot still looks gruesome (for now at least), I have so much more confidence than I did before this whole experience.


This is what my foot looked like a few days after removing the pins. I had to push the toe up because it was laying so low in this picture!

5 comments:

  1. Hey how you doing? I wanted to know if you have any advice for me. Its been a month since my surgery My stitches have not been removed. I had distract 7mm the doc unscrew it and brought it down to 3mm. A lot of fluid have been coming out of it. the fluid and blood are dry on top of the stitches it looks pretty gross. my toe looks purple and dead. I can't go back to work or even get up because the fluid comes out of it. I cry every single day. crying as I'm writting to you, Im just very depress right now and dont know what to do. my foot was cut 10 cm. its from my foot to my toe. I seriously regret going through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad to hear, I'm really sorry you're going through this!! Make sure you ask your doctor at your next appointment about the stitches, because usually stitches come out 10-14 days after surgery, regardless of what procedure was done. I can't believe your doctor brought it back down to 3 mm! You should ask him about getting you a bone stimulator...they help the regenerate process of the bone and if your bone isn't growing in as fast as it should then that could help you. If worst comes to worst, I suggest you look for a different doctor who can assist with all the post-op, one you feel more confident in. The fluid you talk about happened to me as well. Mine was a bright yellow and it freaked me out, but it wasn't anything to worry about. Your body is trying to heal itself and that fluid is normal. It's gross to look at but just keep it clean and you should be fine. This procedure has many complications as you probably know, so I am sure you aren't alone in this! I know how it feels to be extremely discouraged, but crying and thinking negatively isn't the solution. Keep thinking positive and keeping yourself busy with things; hang out with friends or family, read, etc. It will get better!

      Delete
  2. Thanks I will ask him about the bone stimulator tomorrow. I have pics on my blog you can look at because trust be if you see my foot you will cry too. I'm afraid I might lose my toe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice it this morning. although on my last apt the doc did say "your toe is purple" but he didnt do anything about it. OMG. I will do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good! I hope my recovery is as quick as yours. I'm going through the process on my left right now and will be getting my fixator off in a week! I wanted to know if you were able to walk the same day you got your fixator off.

    ReplyDelete