Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 36: Checkup appointment

Nothing but good news from my doctor today! I was worried about my foot because a few days ago I tripped coming down the stairs and landed all my weight on my brachy foot. I felt a shooting pain and one of the areas around the pin started to bleed a bit. It is still very tender to walk on but the doctor looked at the x-rays and said everything looked great!

My doctor pulled up the x-rays on the computer and showed me the growth since I saw him last. He says my metatarsal has grown about 13 mm in total! It didn't seem like much in the x-rays until he pulled up an x-ray from before the surgery; it was a huge difference! However, I have a hypoplastic toe which means the toe is physically smaller than normal. This can't be fixed with the surgery, so I'm going to have to live with a shorter than normal toe...I'm just happy my metatarsal is the correct size! Less pain = happy me. Doctor also noticed my bone regenerate, and says it looks really good and has already filled in the gap!

He took another x-ray after talking with me, and this time we looked for the parabola of my metatarsals to  see if I needed to turn anymore. We ended up agreeing that I could benefit from a few days of extra turning, so I will be turning for four more days, until Friday. This week also marks the arbitrary "week 1" of the consolidation phase! He said that by rule of thumb, however long it takes the person to turn the device, that's how long the device will need to stay on to consolidate the bone. Since I turned for about 4 weeks, I should now wait with the device on my foot for 4 weeks. Technically I'm still turning, but he said we can consider this week one of consolidation since everything is going so well and we see apparent bone growth. If all continues to go well, I could have this device off my foot in mid-August!!





No comments:

Post a Comment