Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 4

Hello! This experience so far has not been what I expected. I thought that I would be in a lot of pain and would need to rely on pain killers 24/7; however, this isn't the case! The only time I feel pain is when I move my foot a certain way and strain the area around my 4th metatarsal. I take about 3-4 painkillers in an entire 24-hour period and I'm completely fine.

I have my foot propped up for the majority of the day and night, and I ice it every 1-2 hours for 20-30 minutes each time. I think this has significantly helped the pain and swelling. When I'm on crutches I notice the swollen, uncomfortable feeling start to descend on my foot so I try to stay away from walking and standing as much as I can.

The numbness in my toes has also gone away for the most part as well! The first two days I was really nervous that this might be a long-term numbness that I would have to learn to deal with, but by today all my toes have most, if not all, their feeling back! Yay :)

I'd say the worst part of this experience is being confined to the bed or couch ALL DAY LONG. It gets so boring. Fortunately, I'm taking two online classes for school this summer and they start in a few days, so that should keep me occupied for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Labellavita, thank you for your posts! They are soo helpful and guiding. I will be having this surgery soon and I was wondering what you did for showering? I am not sure how I am going to shower without getting the device wet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I'm glad my blog has helped you! What I did at first was completely duct tape a plastic garbage bag around my calf, and I also left my foot outside of the tub. I had a shower chair which I definitely recommend! So I sat on that, and left my foot out of the shower with the bag on. I don't remember how long I had to do this before I was able to get it wet, but I'm sure it's written somewhere in my blog! My technique worked really well, because the duct tape really keeps moisture out. Hope this helps!

      Delete